Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Unconditional Love

There can be no comparison to the unconditional love that I feel for my son.  From the moment I knew that he was inside of me - my life changed forever.  It has been a wondrous journey so far - feeling him grow, finding out that he is a boy, meeting him for the first time.  The wonder of all of the firsts - cries, yawns, smiles, rolling over, crawling walking, talking, singing.  Watching him as he explores the world - so full of questions.  Listening to him become an outstanding reader - writing his own stories and poetry.  Seeing him being such a good and compassionate little being - making smiles happen wherever he goes - he always has something of himself to give. He is simply amazing. I feel my heart will burst one of these days with the love that I have for him.  And as where I'm in no hurry to see him grow up too fast - I'm fascinated to see how he will evolve and who he will become as he gets older.  Nature and nurture working together to create a very special human being.  I wonder who it is that he will fall in love with.  Will he fall in love with a man or a woman or both?  To me, it's the second biggest mystery after finding out if he was a boy or a girl.  Just like the color of his hair, the length of his fingers, the sound of his voice - his sexuality is just as much as who he is.  

I can not for one moment ever imagine not wanting to be just as much a part of his life, loving him any less, wanting any less for him if he is homosexual rather the heterosexual.  Simply can not imagine how a parent's love could turn into hatred simply based on who their child falls in love with.  My heart breaks for all of the children whose parents have turned away from them.   Sexuality is part of what makes a soul and we should be able to love and be loved unconditionally. 

It does not matter what toys you give your child to play with.  There really are no 'girl' toys or 'boy' toys.  The toys in a child's hands is not what determines his sexuality.  Why would you want to squash your child's potential by limiting his choices?  Girls don't just have to wear pink dance.  Boys don't just have to wear blue and play football.  Every child should have the freedom - and parents who foster it - to be whatever they want to be.  Just because a boy is in ballet does not mean he's gay.  Just because a boy play's football does not mean that he is straight.  It does not work that way. 

My son is a poet, a singer, a piano player, a lego builder, a sandcastle maker.   He loves to dance and he's a showman.  A few months ago he was planning his wedding to Maia  - a sweet little girl who sat next to him in the first grade.  But who knows - maybe in the second grade he will be planning his wedding to Andrew.

All I know is I want to be there on his Wedding Day.

10 comments:

  1. What a great and thoughful post. At that age they are still full of wonder! Life has a way of changing some of that. Too bad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thoughtful. I wish society had more people like you in it. This is very refreshing to read with all the hatered that is out on the net.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing on this planet that would remove the love from my heart for my children. They may love a zebra and I will love them ...i have 5 children and no finer job on the planet could i have chosen.. you feel the same about your child.. he is blessed to have a Mother such as you.. Enjoy him and the many magical paths you shall take together:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...Thank you, Jhon, for sharing this. Your wife is an amazing woman. Why can't all parents be like you guys? Then there would be no such thing as bullying. It's that simple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I everу time used tο study post in nеws papeгs but now as I аm
    a useг of nеt thus frоm nοω I am usіng net for artiсles
    or гevieωs, thanks to ωeb.


    Stop by my ωeb ρаge ... what is the Best skin exfoliator

    ReplyDelete
  6. Write more, thats аll I have to say. Litеrаlly, it seems аs though
    you relied on the video to make your point. Υοu clearly know what yοuгe talking about, ωhy ωaste youг
    intelligence on just poѕting vіdeos to your weblοg when you could be giving
    us something еnlightenіng to read?

    Here іs mу wеbsіte: get cash for surveys legit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot for sharing this with all peoρle yоu really underѕtand ωhat
    you aгe talkіng approхіmatelу!
    Bookmarked. Please аlsо diѕcusѕ with my website =).
    We could havе a hyperlink сhangе contract among us

    Also visit my blog best skin exfoliator

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wіth hаvin sо much сontent аnd artіcles ԁο you еѵеr run into any isѕues of plаgorism or cοpyгight infrіngemеnt?
    Mу sіte has а lot оf unіque соntent I've either authored myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any methods to help reduce content from being stolen? I'd really apрreciate it.


    Feеl fгее to visit mу blog post articlekevo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gгeate poѕt. Keep ρostіng such kind of information оn your pаge.
    Im гeally imрreѕѕed by your ѕite.

    Hі therе, Үοu hаvе ԁone an excellent job.
    I ωill certаinly digg it anԁ in my
    view recommend to mу friеndѕ. І am surе thеy wіll be benefіtеԁ frοm this web
    site.

    Ηerе is mу webpage: daegan smith pure leverage

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wοω that was strangе.
    I just wrote аn really long comment but afteг I clicked submit my сommеnt
    didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all
    thаt oνer аgain. Regardlеѕs, јust wanted to ѕay great blog!


    My wеbsіtе ... pure leverage team build

    ReplyDelete